Sri Lanka Catholics Hold 1st Sunday Mass Since Attacks - NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Sri Lanka Catholics Hold 1st Sunday Mass Since Attacks

Seven suicide bombers struck two Catholic and one Protestant churches and three luxury hotels on Easter Sunday

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    5 Falltacular Ways to Connect With Your Family
    AP
    Sri Lankan police officers stand guard at the entrance to St. Lucia's cathedral during a holy mass held to bless victims of the Easter Sunday attacks in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Saturday, May 11, 2019. More than 250 people were killed when suicide bombers struck three churches and three tourist hotels on Easter. Masses at churches were canceled for a second week last Sunday and the reopening of schools was postponed after reports warned of possible new attacks.

    The Catholic Church in Sri Lanka held the first regular Sunday Mass since the Easter suicide bombings of churches and hotels killed more than 250 people.

    Military forces and police armed with assault rifles patrolled the streets leading to churches and stood guard outside the compounds. Everyone entering was required to produce identity cards and was body searched.

    Volunteers were stationed at the gates of churches to identify parishioners and look for suspicious individuals.

    Parking was banned near the churches and officials requested worshippers to bring along only minimum baggage.

    Sri Lanka Gov't Was Warned About Bombing Threats: Officials

    [NATL] Sri Lanka Gov't Was Warned About Bombing Threats: Officials

    An extremist group had threatened bombings in Sri Lanka before explosions killed more than 250 people there on Easter Sunday, according to the health minister. he said intergovernmental strife was to blame for the lack of response.

    (Published Monday, April 22, 2019)

    Seven suicide bombers struck two Catholic and one Protestant church and three luxury hotels on Easter Sunday. The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attacks, carried out by a local radicalized Muslim group.

    Sunday services were canceled in the two subsequent weekends for fear of more attacks, leaving the faithful to hear Mass via live TV transmission from the Colombo residence of Archbishop Malcolm Ranjith.

    Church authorities are also mulling reopening church-run schools on Tuesday if they can be satisfied with security.

    President Maithripala Sirisena told The Associated Press last week that "99%" of the remaining suspects in the Easter attacks had been arrested and their explosive materials seized, and it was safe for tourists to return to the Indian Ocean island nation.

    Police say two previously little-known radical Islamist groups — National Towheed Jamaat and Jammiyathul Millathu Ibrahim — conspired in the attacks. Officials say Zahran Hashim, a vitriolic preacher from the country's east, may have led the attackers and was one of the bombers to die.