San Diego

Suspect Shot by Deputies After Solana Beach Stabbing Identified

The knife used in the attack was found by homicide detectives with the tip missing. Later, the tip was found embedded in the victim's head.

The suspect fatally shot by deputies after he stabbed the Rubio's manager in Solana Beach was identified Wednesday.

"The tip of the knife was missing and was later recovered from the victim’s head at the hospital," Lieutenant Greg Rylaarsdam of the Sheriff's Homicide Detail told NBC 7.

A homeless man, Emmanuel Ibarra, 34, was identified as the suspect in this case after the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office completed its autopsy.

"As they were looking, the suspect came from behind a cement bridge support. And he still had a knife in his hand from the original assault," said Lt. Rylaarsdam.

Ibarra was shot to death by deputies who tried to arrest him after he stabbed the restaurant manager repeatedly in the face at the Rubio's in Solana Beach on Monday.

His cause of death was determined to be multiple gunshot wounds, according to the Medical Examiner.

The victim was a manager at Rubio's who was trying to get Ibarra to leave the restaurant before he was violently attacked.

A group of teens rushed to help save the victim, who was left with a fractured skull and part of the knife left embedded inside his head, before he was taken to the Scripps Hospital in Hillcrest.

Shortly after the attack, two deputies discovered Ibarra in the 3200 block of Camino Del Mar in the city of Del Mar, confirmed the Medical Examiner. 

Ibarra came from behind a concrete bridge support with a knife in his hand and suddenly charged at the closest deputy.

This startled the deputy, causing him to lose his footing and fall over. The second deputy then shouted at Ibarra to grab his attention, according to the Medical Examiner.

Once Ibarra rushed at the second deputy armed with a jagged knife, the deputy fired his handgun at him multiple times.

More deputies were called to the scene and were able to get the knife away from Ibarra, allowing medics to render first aid to him, according to the Medical Examiner. Ibarra later died in a hospital.

Later, doctors removed what appeared to be the tip of the knife from the victim's head.

The victim is still recovering at the hospital but is expected to make a full recovery, according to the Medical Examiner.

Contact Us