Otay Mesa

Gunman in Church's Chicken Shooting Sentenced to 146 Years to Life in Prison

Albert Lee Blake was found guilty of murder, three counts of attempted murder and cruelty to a child

NBC Universal, Inc.

The man convicted of opening fire on a group of employees at an Otay Mesa fast-food restaurant, killing one of them, was sentenced on Tuesday to 146 years to life in prison.

Albert Lee Blake, 51, was found guilty by a Chula Vista jury last month of murder and attempted murder counts stemming from the Nov. 6, 2019, shooting at the Church's Chicken restaurant at 3726 Del Sol Blvd.

Maribel Merino Ibanez, 28, was killed in the shooting, while two other employees were hospitalized. A third worker was fired upon, but was not struck by the gunfire, according to prosecutors.

Blake sat emotionless on Tuesday as employees who were impacted by the shooting and family of Ibanez read emotional impact statements at the sentencing.

Through a translator, Ibanez's widowed husband Ramon Mendoza shared how the murder of his beloved changed his life forever.

"I imagine he didn't have the slightest idea of what he’d done," Mendoza said on Tuesday via a translator. “After that moment, he ended my happiness.”

Admitting he was anxious for Blake's sentencing date, Mendoza added that justice will still leave him without Ibanez.

"I want him to know that even if 100 years go by, it won't be enough time because I won't get my wife back," he concluded.

The gunman who killed a woman and injured two others at a Church’s Chicken restaurant in Otay Mesa will spend the rest of his life in prison. NBC 7’s Nicole Gomez has details from the sentencing.

Raquel Gutierrez, a Church's Chicken employee who witnessed the shooting, said through a translator that the violence greatly impacted her life.

“I don’t know where to begin, but my life changed completely after the incident," Gutierrez said. "My workplace was my safe place, my comfort place. My life changed completely.”

She also said she takes care of her three daughters and hopes to overcome the trauma she endured from the shooting.

Deputy District Attorney Mary Loeb said Blake tried to use a counterfeit $100 bill to purchase food but was rebuffed by Ibanez.

The prosecutor said he then left the restaurant and went to his car where he "prepared himself to kill over this slight" by changing clothes in order to better conceal a 9mm pistol he planned to take back into the eatery, then re-positioning his car near the restaurant's exit so he could easily escape.

Eyewitnesses shared their emotional stories from the 2019 Church's Chicken shooting in San Diego, reports NBC 7's Artie Ojeda

After the shooting, Blake fled the state and was arrested later that month in Memphis, Tennessee, prosecutors said. Though no surveillance footage was available from inside the restaurant, investigators located images of the shooter's vehicle through smart street-light cameras, according to Loeb.

The prosecutor said investigators pinned the vehicle down as a Dodge Charger and found that Blake had been contacted by police on prior occasions that year in a similar vehicle.

NBC 7's Dave Summers spoke to family members of the victim one year later.

With Blake identified as the driver, Loeb said his phone records helped police track down his girlfriend. At her home, police found the same brand of ammunition used in the shooting, as well as Blake's car. Inside the car were two counterfeit $100 bills with Blake's fingerprints on them, Loeb said. The car's steering wheel and gearshift also tested positive for gunshot residue, according to the prosecutor.

Loeb claimed Blake's cell phone was also in the area of the shooting on Nov. 6 and did not move from that location until just after the shooting occurred. Another cell phone tied to Blake contained pictures of him with a similar haircut and clothes matching descriptions of the shooter. By tracking that second phone, police were able to locate him in Tennessee, Loeb said.

Defense attorney Katie Nagler told jurors that Blake was wrongfully accused, saying police "honed in on Mr. Blake in less than 48 hours, and everything afterwards was built around making him their suspect."

The attorney said the identification of the shooter's vehicle as a Dodge Charger was based on assumptions made by investigators, who she said could not have positively identified the car's make and model through the images provided them by smart street lights. Once police discovered Blake had a similar vehicle as the shooter, "they were glued to him," Nagler said.

According to the defense attorney, no forensic evidence such as DNA or fingerprints tied Blake to the restaurant, and the witnesses' identification of the suspect were unreliable. Though all the witnesses generally described the shooter as a tall Black man, Nagler said other details regarding the suspect differed among witness accounts.

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us