When you hear the words ‘Petco Park’ you probably think baseball, but when the boys of summer leave for winter the ballpark is increasingly becoming home to more and more special events.
The 2015-2016 offseason was the busiest ever for Petco Park, which hosted nearly 100 public and private events between the months of October and March according to the Padres.
“We’re constantly searching for new and innovative events and ideas,” said Mike Dee, Padres CEO & President.
Marquee events this off season included:
• The Links (in partnership with Callaway Golf) – November 5-9, 2015
• Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk – November 22, 2015
• Bill Walton Basketball Festival – November 30- December 6, 2015
• Holiday Wonderland – December 4-December 23, 2015
• Monster Jam – January 23 & February 6, 2016
• Monster Energy Supercross - January 16 & February 13, 2016
• Science Expo – March 5, 2016
The increase in offseason events hasn’t gone unnoticed around the East Village.
“I talk to a lot of bartenders and general managers of restaurants and I know the financial impact it has on their businesses as well. It’s just a positive thing all the way around,” said Ron Quintero, who lives near the ballpark.
Four years ago the City of San Diego agreed to give the Padres a bigger slice of the revenue for special events, which may explain part of the rapid increase in recent years. The incentive seems to have worked out well for the city too.
“I think the city’s net take from Petco will be more than double what it was when the deal was restructured” said Dee.
The Sports Business Journal recently nominated Petco Park as one of America’s top sports facilities.