San Diego

Man Severely Injured in Flash Explosion While Cooking

A man was severely injured in a flash explosion at a house in Oceanside on Saturday, according to the Oceanside Fire Department (OFD).

The explosion happened around 8:45 a.m. on the 300 block of North Garfield Avenue, according to OFD Battalion Chief Terry Collis.

The man was cooking with an electric griddle and an aerosol can near the griddle got too hot and exploded, Oceanside police Sgt. Nick Nunez said. 

Jose Hernandez heard the bang and rushed to help his neighbor.

"I hear a big explosion," Hernandez said. "The window explodes, a piece of wood flies out, I see a man come outside his house. He's screaming, yelling, says he's on fire. So, I run up and try to help him and he had some really bad burns."

The man was airlifted to UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest with severe burn injuries, according to the North County Fire Department.

The explosion caused no major damage to the home, Nunez said.

The man suffered 30 percent burn to his body.

Contact Us