Let's face it: theater tickets can be expensive.
But it doesn't have to be - if you know how to take advantage of special discounts.
Here are our top tips and tricks to get affordable theater tickets at some of San Diego's largest theaters.
The Old Globe
The Old Globe offers a number of tickets starting at $30 in the wings of the theater. However, they also offer several discounts.
- Tix4Teens: Teenagers under the age of 18 can sign up for an email list and get discount tickets to shows.
- Young adults also have the opportunity to get discount tickets with the Globe's 30 Under 30 program. Theatergoers between the age of 18 and 29 can sign up for emails and get discount tickets to shows. Generally, the tickets are around $24 with a valid ID.
- Active-duty military, members of the Reserve and National Guard and their dependents can get special discounts, as well, using the code BLUESTAR. The Globe has a limit to two tickets for military ID.
The La Jolla Playhouse is in La Jolla, right off Interstate 5 on UC San Diego's campus. A number of hit musicals have originated right here in La Jolla: "Summer," the Donna Summer musical, "Jersey Boys," "Thoroughly Modern Millie," and "Escape to Margaritaville," for instance.
The theater has several options available for patrons looking for discount tickets:
- A program called 24 for 24, where you donate $75 to the Playhouse’s Education and Outreach programs. Then, you'll become eligible for access to $24 tickets 24 hours before a performance, subject to availability.
- For younger theater lovers, 30 Under 30, a program that offers $20 tickets for theatergoers under the age of 30. You will need an ID to pick up the tickets.
- Some of the theater's shows offer lottery tickets through TodayTix, an app for purchasing discount theater tickets. You can win $19 tickets to performances.
- If you're a UCSD student, you can buy a limited number of $10 tickets to every Playhouse show.
- Rush tickets are also available for students, seniors and active military one hour before curtain. The tickets are 50 percent off.
- The Playhouse also offers other military discounts.
Broadway San Diego/The Civic Theatre
Broadway San Diego organizes the touring Broadway productions that come to San Diego. The performances are at the San Diego Civic Theatre in Downtown San Diego. Aside from subscriptions, here are some of the discounts they offer.
- Groups of more than 10 can get a special group discount - up to 10 to 15 percent off, depending on the show.
- Certain shows offer discounts for educational facilities and non-profit organizations.
- Rush tickets are also available for some performances, up to two hours before each show. To learn more about rush tickets, call the Civic Theatre Box Office at 619-570-1100.
San Diego REP
The San Diego Repertory Theatre puts on professional theatre in downtown San Diego with an emphasis on intimate and provocative theater. Their performances are at the Lyceum Theatre. Aside from subscriptions, here are some of the discounts they offer.
- As a member of Blue Star Theatres, San Diego REP offers half-off adult prices for standard seating for military personnel and their immediate families.
- Groups of at least 10 get a special discount. The larger the group, the larger the discount.
San Diego Musical Theatre
San Diego Musical Theatre is an organization that puts on musicals and plays in San Diego - often at the Horton Grand Theatre in Downtown San Diego. Aside from subscriptions, here are some of the discounts they offer.
- Groups of 12 or more get a 25 percent discount.
- Seniors 65 years and older and members of the military get a $5 discount per ticket.
- Children under the age of 17 get half priced off tickets.
- If you're under 30 years old (18 years old to 29 years old), you can get 30 percent off regular priced tickets on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday performances. You will need a valid ID for picking up tickets.
- Actors in the Equity and Actors Alliance receive up to two tickets at half the price with a valid membership card.
- Rush tickets are also available. Thirty minutes prior to a performance, students with a valid ID can get $25 tickets at the box office.
Vista's Moonlight Amphitheatre puts on outdoor musicals and plays during the summer months - and hosts other seasonal events year-round. Aside from subscriptions, several groups get discounts: members of the military and their dependents can get discounted tickets; seniors, students and youths get discounted tickets as well, depending on the show.