1 Year Later, Double-Homicide Suspects Still at Large

Rickquese McCoy, 18, and Stephen McClendon, 34, died from injuries sustained in a shooting in City Heights on June 30, 2012

One year after two people were shot to death in City Heights, the San Diego Police Department continues to seek the suspect or suspects involved in the double-homicide.

On June 30, 2012, officers responded to reports of a shooting in the 2600 block of 44th Street. When police arrived at the scene, they found two victims in a parking lot suffering from gunshot wounds. A third victim was discovered injured in a nearby alley.

All three victims were taken to a local trauma center with critical injuries.

Two of the victims – Rickquese McCoy, 18, and Stephen McClendon, 34 – died from injuries sustained in the shooting. The third victim, a 20-year-old man, was hospitalized in critical condition, but survived after undergoing surgery.

Investigators said the victims were standing outside an apartment on 44th Street when various suspects dressed in dark clothing approached them on foot. The suspects fired multiple rounds at the victims and then fled in a light-colored, four-door sedan, possibly a Ford Taurus.

The getaway car was last seen traveling westbound on Maple Street.

In September 2012, the San Diego Police Department released a sketch of one of the suspects tied to the fatal shootings. To date no arrests have been made in connection with this case.

Now, with the one-year anniversary of the double-homicide this Sunday, police have re-released the suspect sketch in hopes of tracking down fresh leads on this unsolved double-homicide.

Police describe this particular suspect as a black man in his mid-to-late 30s, 5-foot-8 to 5-foot-11, with a husky build and dark complexion. He was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and armed with a handgun.

Anyone with information on this suspect’s identity or this case should contact the SDPD Homicide Unit at (619) 531-2293 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477. Tipsters can remain anonymous.

Contact Us