Hero Puppy Saves Family From Fire

Chihuahua alerted owners to the fire as it began destroying their mobile home

By Lauren Steussy
|  Thursday, Jul 12, 2012  |  Updated 3:47 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Hero Puppy Saves Family From Fire

advertisement

A six-week-old puppy died Thursday morning in Spring Valley after awakening its owners to a fire in their home.

Firefighters responded to the fully-involved fire in a mobile home on Jamacha Blvd. at about 8:45 a.m., according to the San Miguel Fire Department.

They arrived about five minutes later, but the home was already completely destroyed. Two cars near the home were also burned.

The owner of the home told fire investigators that her pet Chihuahua puppy woke her up as the fire was starting.

The puppy, who the woman had just adopted two days prior, hid under the bed, out of reach.

The woman and her two children evacuated as the smoke thickened and the flames spread. They were not able to save the puppy.

Fire investigators said the home did not have a smoke detector. The damage caused by the fire was about $130,000.

 

Follow NBC7 for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out