An explosion caused so much damage inside a popular organic market that it will close several days for repairs, the store owner told NBC 7.
Customers arrived to Windmill Farms on Del Cerro Boulevard Monday morning to do some shopping and were met by signs telling them the store is closed.
The local family-owned grocery store was damaged when fire broke out Monday night.
An electrician was burned by an electric shock while working on the main electrical box. He was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Witnesses described several explosions inside along with flames and smoke.
“Basically inside there was an explosion in the meat department, which started some flames. Obviously a lot of smoke,” witness James Seastrom said.
The electric shock spread to nearby dry goods and prompted a two-alarm fire. Ten employees were evacuated.
Manager Matt Mann said firefighters did a great job putting out the fire without breaking anything inside.
He said the store hopes to reopen in two days.
‘We've had the health department out already. They're testing right now for lead, asbestos testing already happened,” he said explaining the steps to clear the store for opening. “Obviously we'll have to completely repair our meat department.”
Employees have had to throw away dairy and meat products because power was turned off.