San Diego

Report of Firearm Locks Down Fallbrook, Ivy High Schools

A large group of parents gathered outside of the gates at Fallbrook High School Wednesday afternoon, many of them angry that they couldn’t get to their kids.

Lengthy lockdowns at Fallbrook and Ivy High Schools in the North County have been lifted, officials said Wednesday afternoon.

At around 10:30 a.m., a report of a firearm prompted lockdowns of both campuses, according to a tweet from the San Diego County of Education. 

San Diego County Sheriff's Department (SDSO) Lt. Andrea Arreola said authorities were actively investigating. Students and staff were safe, officials said. 

Two hours later, a large group of parents gathered outside of the gates at Fallbrook High School, many of them angry that they couldn’t get to their kids. Parents told NBC 7 they had received an automated phone call from the school informing them of the situation, saying campus was still on lockdown.

"We were on lockdown for a gun like two months ago," said student Juan Jiminez. "That makes you question the security of this school."

Parents told Board members they needed to increase security at the school.

"If we had an officer last year, obviously, there's no reason we shouldn’t be having one this year," said one parent. "I’m not even going to go into all the stuff I know that’s happened on campus this year."

Tammy Pancher, whose daughter is in 11th grade at Fallbrook High School, waited in the car for her daughter to be released Wednesday afternoon. 

"It’s a little scary from what I understand it’s a little different circumstance this time," said Pancher. "And I know a lot of the parents out here are getting really upset, and I understand that. I’m sure Mr. Boone will do what he can do to make the school safer because he feels the parents and the pressure he’s getting."

"It is sad to see what the world has become nowadays, that we can't drop off our kids at school in the morning and rest assured that they will be safe throughout the day until we pick them back up," said parent Nicholette Birchall.

She added that a law enforcement officer should be on campus every day.

As of noon, the high schools were still on lockdown, the Fallbrook Union High School District (FUHSD) confirmed. Parents said the campus was still being searched, according to what they heard from the principal.

This is the second time in less than two months that the campus has been placed on lockdown due to reports of a possible threat.

Parents told NBC 7 they would be attending the school board meeting next Monday to discuss the security.

No other information was available.

Contact Us