1 Killed in Barber Shop Shooting

The shooting prompted Oak Park residents to spill into the streets, angry over the death of the owner of the Official Cutz Barber Shop

The owner of a barber shop in San Diego's Oak Park area was shot to death by an unknown suspect at his business Friday morning, officials confirmed.

The deadly shooting happened at the Official Cutz Barber Shop at 54th and Redwood Street just before 11:30 a.m.

A preliminary police investigation revealed that a man walked into the business, walked up to the owner and fired several rounds at him.

The victim was down on the ground of the barber shop when police arrived on scene.

Police say the suspect is a dark-skinned man who was wearing a dark shirt and shorts, a baseball cap and white shoes. 

News of the shooting spread quickly in the Oak Park community. Angry and concerned residents flooded the streets in search of answers from police.

At 11:50 a.m., police officers detained several people for questioning in connection with the shooting at a home in the 3300-block of Winlow Street, but no one was taken into custody. Multiple SDPD cars were called to the area.

Several residents were seen talking and arguing with police officers in the streets. Tensions were high and many people were upset. Some were led away by police in handcuffs.

A woman, possibly the shooting victim's mother, was crying hysterically at the scene while being held back by a group of people.

Witness Danny Nguyen works at Nu's Auto Repair & Body on 54th Street, directly across the street from the barber shop. Nguyen told NBC 7 he heard six or seven shots, ducked for cover and called 911.

He didn't see the shooting suspect or suspects. Nguyen said the barber shop has been open for about three months and has been quiet, with no activity of this kind.

The shooting victim's aunt, Audrey Brooks, spoke to NBC 7 and identified the victim as 32-year-old Lamar Canady. She said Canady owned the barber shop where the shooting happened.

Brooks said her nephew was a good person and well-known in the community. He leaves behind a wife and four children, including a newborn baby girl. She said the family doesn't have details yet on what prompted the shooting.

“He was just a wonderful guy. My nephew was ambitious, smart, funny, witty. He was a lot of things. He had a wonderful wife, four kids. He worked. He wanted to serve his community,” said Brooks.

As of Saturday morning, the investigation into this fatal shooting remains ongoing.

Anyone with information on this incident should contact the SDPD Homicide Unit at (619) 531-2293 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.

Contact Us