San Diego County Supervisor Ron Roberts wants taxpayers to contribute another $500,000 for costs associated with negotiating a new San Diego Chargers football stadium in Mission Valley.
Roberts made the request Monday in a memo sent to fellow county supervisors and obtained by NBC 7 Investigates.
The money would come from “Neighborhood Reinvestment Program Funds,” a portion of which is controlled by each supervisor and allocated for use by a majority vote by the board.
Roberts’ request for the $500,000 will be discussed at the board’s Aug. 4 meeting.
According to the memo, the money would be used to pay lawyers and consultants who are working for the city and county on plans for a new stadium.
If approved, this new infusion of $500,000 in county taxpayer money will be in addition to the $250,000 already allocated by the county. The city of San Diego has allocated an equal amount, for a total of $750,000.
In addition, the city will spend $2.1 million in taxpayer funds to prepare an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) on the proposed new stadium.
The Chargers have criticized that EIR, calling it a waste of money because, according to them, it will not withstand an expected legal challenge from opponents of the Mission Valley stadium plan.
The Chargers have also walked away from the negotiating table, after criticizing the city’s plan for a new stadium at the Qualcomm site.
The team’s refusal to negotiate has not made a big impact on Supervisor Roberts.
In a July 15 statement released to NBC 7 Investigates, Roberts’ office specifically said the supervisor would ask his colleagues to approve the additional $500,000 “if the Chargers return to active negotiations.”
So far the team has not done so, and it shows no sign of rejoining the stadium negotiations.
Despite that, Roberts is still supporting the expenditure of another $500,000.
"Ron remains optimistic that after the Aug. 10 meeting in Chicago, both the Chargers and NFL will be negotiation table bound," said the supervisor's spokesman.