After the state updated San Diego's adjusted case rate shifting the county to the most-restrictive tier, Balboa Park released a list of museums, venues that have been impacted.
The shift comes amid rising cases of COVID-19 in San Diego County, reflected in the region's adjusted case rate, which was 8.9 for the week leading up to and including Halloween. San Diego was among three counties -- including Sacramento and Stanislaus --that moved to the purple tier, or tier 1, on Tuesday.
Under tier 1 museums, zoos and aquariums will now have to operate outdoor only. Restaurants will also have to shift to outdoor service, but outdoor playgrounds and recreational facilities can remain open.
"During these rapidly changing times, venues in the Park have been closely monitoring and implementing recommendations provided by government agencies and public health officials, including the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), California Department of Public Health Info and San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency (Public Health)," Balboa Park said in a statement.
The following is a status update for Balboa Park:
Museums closed for physical visitation in effect now until further notice:
- Museum of Us
- Balboa Park Carousel
- Marston House Museum
- Fleet Science Center
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- San Diego Art Institute
- San Diego History Center
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum
- San Diego Natural History Museum
- Veterans Museum at Balboa Park
- Timken Museum of Art and House of Pacific Relations International Cottages
- Old Globe Theatre
- San Diego Youth Ballet
- San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory, and San Diego Junior Theatre.
Additionally, Explorer Pass sales are suspended. Spreckels Organ concerts are now online only each Sunday.
Closures to physical visitation in effect beginning Saturday, Nov.14 until further notice:
- San Diego Museum of Art, except the May S. Marcy Sculpture Court & Garden which will remain open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday through Thursday.
- San Diego Automotive Museum
Venues that will continue to welcome guests using current safety guidelines include:
- The Balboa Park Visitors Center and shop will operate daily.
- The San Diego Zoo and the Japanese Friendship Garden will operate outdoor spaces only.
- The San Diego Air and Space Museum will be operating their retail space only, Saturdays and Sundays.
- The United Nations International Gift Shop will also operate Saturdays and Sundays only.
- The Tea Pavilion, Prado Restaurant, Prado Perk coffee cart, Daniel’s Coffee at Spanish Village, Panama 66 Restaurant, and the Panama 66 grab-and-go cart will all be operating.
Public outdoor areas within the park that are currently open will remain accessible. These areas include:
- Balboa Park Golf Course.
- Bird Park and Morley Field
- Morley Field Off Leash Dog Park
- East Mesa – 28th Street Corridor
- Grape Street Off Leash Dog Park
- Golden Hill Community Park
- Central Mesa, including the main walkways around museums
- West Mesa (6th Avenue side of Balboa Park)
- Nate’s Point Off Leash Dog Park
- Various other gardens and trails
"The public is strongly encouraged to visit the website of their favorite venues, as many are producing virtual tours, video content, and streaming performances while in-person visitation is not available," Balboa Park said.
Face coverings are required when visiting the park and physical distancing must be followed in accordance with state, regional and local orders to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
"Any arts and culture organization throughout the city is really important if people can support them financially, please do so. We want these organizations to be strong when they come out on the other side," said Peter Comiskey, executive director of Balboa Park. "Third of museums won't make it."
For more information, visit the parks website.