San Diego

Gas Leak Reported in Spring Valley Neighborhood

Approximately 150 students were briefly sheltered at an elementary school after a natural gas leak in Spring Valley Monday afternoon, Cal Fire confirmed.

The leak was reported around 3:36 p.m. on Jamacha Road and Darby Street, according to the San Diego Sheriff's Department (SDSO).

Cal Fire officials said 20 homes were initially evacuated but residents were allowed to return just after 4 p.m.

According to SDG&E, the leak began after a construction crew struck a gas line. 

Just before 5 p.m., Cal Fire reported that approximately 150 students were sheltered at Avondale Elementary. They were released to their parents around 5:30 p.m. after SDG&E cleared the area.

SDG&E initially said it would take approximately two hours to repair the leak. Cal Fire officials reported the leak was over just after 9 p.m.

No other information was immediately available.

Contact Us