Filner: House Arrest Was Time of Reflection

Former San Diego Mayor Bob Filner ends his home confinement after three months

Embattled former San Diego Mayor Bob Filner is now a free man.

His three-month house arrest was expected to end at 5 p.m. Sunday. However, a source close to Filner confirmed on Sunday afternoon that Filner's GPS tracking device had been removed, effectively ending his house arrest.

He was spotted walking around the downtown area Sunday afternoon.

Filner released the following statement only to NBC 7:

While under house arrest for the past ninety days, I have been working hard to understand the reasons that led me here, to do whatever is necessary to correct my behavior, to become a healthier, more balanced person and to think through what a man in my position could do to earn forgiveness and regain my integrity.

Once again, my deepest apologies go to all those that I have hurt. I ask for a chance to earn your forgiveness over time based on my actions.

I also want to thank all those who have stood with me and trust that I will emerge from this dark and difficult period in my life as a better human being.

I will continue to focus on my mental and physical health and family and private life. In response to many requests, I will not be doing interviews or making appearances in the immediate future.

Bob Filner

On Dec. 9, Filner received his sentence of house arrest after pleading guilty to felony false imprisonment and two misdemeanor charges of battery involving victims of sexual harassment.

Since Jan. 1, Filner could not leave his downtown residential building and was subject to searches and visits at any time from his probation officer.

The only time he was allowed to leave home was to attend mental health counseling, as mandated by his plea agreement.

Now that his 90 days of home confinement are up, Filner is required to serve three years of probation.

Included in that probation are scheduled meetings with probation officers, fourth waiver searches, no contact with victims, drug testing, counseling and payment of fines and restitution, according to Sarah Gordon with the San Diego County Public Safety Group.

If he violates that probation, Filner could be subject to more office visits, community service, or even time in jail.

However, if he does not violate it, there is a chance Filner could be placed on “probation with the court,” where he would have to check in with the courts as needed instead of being supervised by a probation officer.

His plea agreement also stated that Filner cannot seek or hold public office, and he needs his probation officer's permission to leave the state.

The punishment was ordered after multiple women came forward to accuse Filner of sexual advances and inappropriate behavior, beginning in July 2013. 

Soon, many of his former allies demanded he step down from office.

Filner finally acquiesced in August, tendering his resignation on Aug. 23 and stepping down on seven days later.

A special election and run-off election followed to fill Filner’s vacant seat. Mayor Kevin Faulconer will complete the rest of Filner’s term.

Contact Us