Exclusive New Details About Officer Shooting

A review of the police action that ended in the death of a San Diego police officer could result in changes in police protocol.

According to law enforcement sources, this is what happened minutes before Officer Chris Wilson, a 17-year veteran, was killed during a gun battle at a Skyline apartment complex on Oct. 28.

Wanted suspect Holim Lee, 30, had barricaded himself inside a bedroom with his girlfriend, Lucky Xayasene, 27.

Officer Wilson and several other San Diego police officers were briefed about Lee and told he could be inside the apartment armed with a gun.

Law enforcement sources say a police sergeant at the scene gave the go ahead to send the officers in with a K-9 unit to try and subdue Lee. When the officers couldn't open the door to Lee's room, one officer kicked it in. That's when gunfire erupted from the bedroom.

Sources say Officer Wilson was standing in the hallway when he was struck by a bullet that went through a wall.

It's unclear who shot Officer Wilson. Lee and his girlfriend both had guns when their bodies were found, according to police.

San Diego police officials have now assembled a team to look review this shooting. The team will determine if protocol needs to change when officers are faced with a barricaded suspect.

George Beitey is the Dean of the School of Public Safety at Miramar College where San Diego police officers train.

He can't talk specifically about the shooting but he did say that changes in protocol could be made following the review of Officer Wilson's shooting.

"If they see something that they could have done better they will attempt to implement that here at the academy or during their patrol orientation," Beitey told NBCSanDiego.

Officer Wilson was shot when San Diego police officers and U.S. Marshals were checking Alex Ray Charfauros. While there, they discovered Lee who was wanted on an assault with a deadly weapon warrant. 

Charfauros, 26, as on probation for a 2008 DUI causing injury. He is now charged with failing to comply with a probation search and possession of methamphetamine. Charfauros could face up to three years in prison if he's found to be in violation of his probation and was ordered to return to court Dec. 3.

Xayasene, died of a gunshot wound to the head, the San Diego medical examiner reported. The death was ruled a homicide. Lee died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to the medical examiner.

Contact Us