Couple Injured in City Heights House Fire

The boyfriend and girlfriend were sleeping when they woke up to flames at the foot of their bed

A City Heights couple woke to the smell of smoke and the crackling noises of flames at the foot of their bed Tuesday.

Fire started around 2:30 a.m. in the back bedroom of the home in the 4700 block of Wightman Street.

The couple tried to put out the fire themselves and suffered minor burns officials said.

Investigators determined that the source of the fire was a tangled mess of cords and wires beneath an entertainment center.

Those wires heated up and caught other items on fire.

Battalion Chief Kenneth Barnes said there were several factors making this call challenging for fire crews.

“In these areas the hydrants are a long way from each other, so it was a ways for water supply. Narrow streets make it difficult and the structures are real close together so we had potential exposure problem,” said Barnes.

The fire destroyed the home. Fire investigators estimate the cost of the damage at approximately $275,000.

Contact Us