The second day of the MLB Draft had the Padres making eight more picks. After going with position players in rounds one and two Thursday, the team split its picks between the mound and the field on Friday
In the 3rd round they grabbed right-handed pitcher Zech Lemond from Rice University. Lemond has a good, live fastball and set the Owls saves record this year.
In the 4th round they went back to offense with Cal Poly San Luis Obispo outfielder Nick Torres. This kid drove in 52 runs for the Mustangs and had been rising up draft boards in recent weeks.
In the 5th round they took another outfielder, Auston Bousfield from Mississippi. He's not real big, but drove in 48 runs for the Rebels. Bousfield started every game in centerfield and only made one error.
In the 6th round the Padres took a project that I find quite intriguing ... Zach Risedorf, a catcher from Northwestern Regional high school in Connecticut. He has a great arm that can translate to the outfield, and advanced power for a high school player. At a high school power showcase in Miami, Risedorf was cranking balls in to Giancarlo Stanton territory, driving several longer than 400 feet. Risedorf has a scholarship to the University of Connecticut, so signability may be an issue.
In the 7th round the Padres grabbed another pitcher, right-hander Ryan Butler from The University of North Carolina-Charlotte. He throws a fastball in the mid-90's and topped out at 99 miles an hour. The good news here is, Butler already had a Tommy John surgery, so that won't be a concern.
In the 8th round the Padres selected Utah right-hander Mitch Watrous, who showed good potential out of the bullpen his sophomore year but was not as effective as a junior in 2014.
In the 9th round the Padres grabbed UC Riverside infielder Ryan Vilter, who was one of the streakiest hitters in the nation.
Finally, in the 10th round, the Friars dipped in to the NAIA ranks for Thomas Dorminy, a right-handed pitcher from Faulkner University in Montgomery, Alabama.
Here's the full list of draftees through the first 10 rounds:
1. Trea Turner SS 6-1 171 North Carolina State (NC)
2. Michael Getty OF 6-1 210 Gainesville High School (GA)
3. Zech Lemond RHP 6-4 195 Rice University (TX)
4. Nick Torres OF 6-1 220 Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (CA)
5. Auston Bousfield OF 5-11 190 University of Mississippi (MS)
6. Zack Risedorf C 5-11 190 Northwestern Regional HS (CT)
7. Ryan Butler RHP 6-5 210 UNC – Charlotte (NC)
8. Mitch Watrous RHP 6-0 205 University of Utah (UT)
9. Nick Vilter SS 6-4 220 University of California, Riverside
10. Thomas Dorminy LHP 6-0 195 Faulkner University (AL)