JFK Airport Reopens After Plane Skids Off Runway | NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

JFK Airport Reopens After Plane Skids Off Runway

A freezing rain advisory is in effect for much of the tri-state area



    (Published Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014)

    A plane that landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport Sunday skidded while exiting an icy runway, prompting authorities to briefly close the airport following the accident, officials said. 

    The FAA said Delta Connections flight 4100, originating from Toronto, landed safely on runway 22 at 8 a.m. only to slide into a snow bank as it was turning onto a taxiway.

    The plane was towed to the gate with passengers on board. No injuries were reported, and the FAA is investigating.

    "It could have been worse, a much worse scenario," Jordan Houlton told reporters after he emerged from the plane. 

    "I was sleeping. I woke up and it was 9:30," Houlton said. "A police officer came on to make sure everyone was OK. Luckily, everyone was OK. It was kind of wild. I still can't believe it."

    The airport closed for about an hour Sunday morning, but flights were delayed by about two hours following the reopening, leaving passengers at crowded gates. Flights resumed after 10 a.m. on two of the airport's four runways, but residual delays for passengers were expected to linger.

    The landing came two days after a major snowstorm dumped a more than a half-foot of snow in New York City, forcing the cancellation of hundreds of flights and stranding passengers both in the city and throughout the world who were heading to New York. Passengers from canceled flights continued to fill the few remaining seats on many planes already crowded by holiday travelers.

    In JetBlue's terminal at JFK Sunday, many passengers were told it would be another three days before they could get out of New York.

    Travelers waiting at the airport said they were frustrated.

    "People are very frustrated and a lot of people have to go back to work," said Corynne Haynes, who was waiting to get a flight back to Barbados.