State Route 163 will be closed nightly this week through Mission Valley to remove the temporary supporting deck for the Friars Road bridge, Caltrans announced.
The closure will last three to six nights between Interstate 8 and Genesee Avenue but the freeway will not be closed in both directions at the same time, the agency said.
All southbound lanes and two northbound lanes were closed Sunday beginning at 11 p.m. Lanes will reopen at 5 a.m. Monday.
During the closures, motorists traveling on northbound SR-163 will be directed to eastbound I-8 to northbound I-805 to merge back to northbound SR-163.
Southbound motorists will be detoured I-805 south to west I-8 to transition to the southbound SR-163 connector ramp.
Here’s the full closure schedule (weather permitting):
- Monday: Northbound and southbound right main lanes.
- Tuesday: All southbound lanes and the northbound fast lane.
- Wednesday: All northbound lanes and the southbound fast lane.
- Thursday: Northbound right lane.
- Friday/Saturday: No closures scheduled.
- Sunday: All northbound lanes.