Balboa Park

Skateboarders in Balboa Park knocked out dog trainer with their boards: San Diego Police

'[Skateboarders] told the victim and his friend to leave the park because it was the skateboarders' day to be there': SDPD

NBC Universal, Inc.

Authorities are seeking the public's help identifying a pair of skateboarders who attacked a man in Balboa Park in June, knocking him unconscious with their boards on Skate Day.

On June 21 at 4:53 p.m., a 24-year-old man was training a client's dog near the Ruben H. Fleet Science Center in the park when 100-200 skateboarders came into the park, according to police.

"One of the skateboarders told the victim and his friend to leave the park because it was the skateboarders' day to be there," San Diego Police Officer Mark Herring said. "The victim and his friend refused."

The victim, who goes by the name Jay, told NBC7 on Thursday that he was standing up for what is fair.

“I was just kind of trying to defend myself," Jay said. "There is a whole park here. We can share this space."

Several skateboarders began to intimidate Jay by skating close to him and the client's dog, Herring said. The victim tried to get away from the group but was followed by several skateboarders. Two men in the skateboarding group struck Jay over his head with their skateboards, causing him to lose consciousness.

“I tried to shove my way out," Jay said. "After that they smacked me over the back of my head with a skateboard. It was a free for all,“ Jay said.

Jay’s client, friend and the dog, who were with him at the time, were not injured in the attack.

Jay is transitioning to a man. While that wasn’t the cause of the attack, he says once it was recognized by some of the skaters, it became as much of a sexual assault.

"They were using transgender slurs,” Jay said. “I was inappropriately touched multiple times during that time span when I was attacked. I did get away after biting and scratching and doing the best I could."

Jay said park rangers came to his aid immediately.

The two suspects fled before police arrived, Herring said.

The victim was taken to a hospital for treatment of a laceration to the back of his head. Jay said the injury required staples to shut.

One suspect was described as about 18 years old, with a medium build, curly blond-and-brown hair, wearing a black-and-gray Baja-type hoodie and cutoff blue jean shorts. He had a silver nose ring and a large black ink tattoo on his left hand.

The other suspect was described as the same age and build. with curly blond hair, wearing a black long-sleeve shirt, green-and-black camouflage cargo pants, a light-color beanie and black-and-white shoes.

The harassment came from several in the group but police say they are specifically looking for these two teens.

Since the attack, Jay says he has been afraid to leave his house and wear shirts showing his businesses' information.

"I honestly want to know that I am not going to be targeted," he said. "I want to know my clients aren’t going to targeted or anyone else."

Jay said he and his business have been threatened by his attackers on social media since the incident.

Anyone with information about the suspects is being urged to call the police at 619-744-9528. Tips can also be called in anonymously to 888- 580-8477 or submitted on the website of Crime Stoppers, which is offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest in the case.

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us