An armed man who allegedly used his young son as a human shield during an Encinitas SWAT standoff, has changed his plea, according to the District Attorney's office.
Victor Bautista, of Cardiff, pleaded guilty to felony making a criminal threat which would result in death or great bodily injury and felony child endangerment.
He had previously pleaded not guilty and was set to go to trial in May.
The standoff began on Nov. 2 on the 2300 block of Carol View Drive when San Diego County Sheriff's deputies responded to a call of a disturbance, according to San Diego County Sheriff's Department (SDSO) spokesman Ryan Keim.
Bautista, armed with a rifle, made him way into an apartment in the complex, where he barricaded himself, prompting a SWAT standoff, deputies said.
All the while he was inside, deputies kept contact with him, Keim said.
When SDSO's Special Enforcement Detail arrived on scene, they eventually fired a beanbag shotgun round and took the suspect into custody. No shots were fired, aside from the beanbag shotgun, deputies said.
The young child was released unharmed.
Bautista will be sentenced on May 25.