San Diego

Man Near Health Clinic, Armed with Baseball Bat, Flees Authorities and Prompts Extensive Search: SDSO

The man, wanted on at least one active felony warrant, led deputies on an hour-long pursuit through thick, heavily wooded terrain on the Santa Ysabel Indian Reservation.

A man wanted on an active felony warrant, standing near a health clinic on the Santa Ysabel Indian Reservation armed with a bat, prompted an extensive search through rugged terrain, San Diego County Sheriff's officials (SDSO) said. 

Deputies first responded to the health clinic on Thursday when someone called to report a suspicious person loitering near the clinic. The caller said he knew deputies were looking for the man the previous day, and that he may be wanted. 

The man, later identified as Patrick Clay, was standing near the clinic with a baseball bat, deputies said. 

When officials arrived on scene, they immediately recognized the man as a suspect wanted on at least one active felony warrant for his arrest, Sgt. Brian Jenkins said in a statement. 

Multiple deputies from the Ranchita and Julian substation, as well as the Sheriff Department's helicopter, ASTREA, responded to the area. 

Clay fled the scene, running out the back of the clinic and into nearby bushes and trees on the reservation, Jenkins said. 

Sheriff's began to chase after him on foot with a canine unit from Poway; the helicopter followed him as well. 

The wanted suspect ran through thick, heavily wooded terrain on the reservation. 

All the while, ASTREA maintained visual contact with Clay as he ran, Jenkins said. Sheriff's officials in ASTREA were able to direct deputies toward Clay from the air. 

As deputies pursued the suspect, one of the deputies involved driving a patrol vehicle was involved in a rollover crash in his SUV, Jenkins said. The deputy suffered minor injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment. 

After an hour of evading capture, deputies eventually caught up with Clay. As they got closer and started yelling commands, Jenkins said, Clay refused commands to surrender. 

Deputies deployed a canine, who made contact with the suspect. 

Clay was taken into custody and transported to the hospital for treatment. 

Once he is released, he will be booked into a North County jail on charges of parole violation and felony resisting. 

Contact Us