Hundreds of post offices, including ten in San Diego County, are in the recession crosshairs.
The post office has been struggling with a sharp decline in mail volume as people and businesses switch to e-mail both for personal contact and bill paying. The agency is facing a nearly $7 billion potential loss this fiscal year, despite a 2-cent increase in the price of stamps in May, cuts in staff and removal of collection boxes.
Also on the block are branch offices across the country and postal officials sent a list of nearly 700 potential candidates to the independent Postal Regulatory Commission.
Here is the list released of local post offices considered for closure:
- College Grove Postal Store, San Diego
- Escondido Postal Store, Escondido
- First Street, Oceanside
- George Washington, San Diego
- San Diego Naval Amphibious Base
- North Park Retail, San Diego
- Point Loma Retail, San Diego
- Rancho Del Rey, Chula Vista
- San Luis Rey, Oceanside
- University City Retail, San Diego
Copyright AP - Associated Press