A father bent the metal bars on the window of his City Heights apartment to get his family to safety after a fire sparked inside early Thursday.
That's according to firefighters with the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Firefighters were called out to Central Avenue, south of El Cajon Boulevard, a little after 3 a.m.
Two adults, a child and two dogs escaped injury.
Crews quickly put out the fire, which was contained to the living room.
Firefighters said a couple of laptops plugged into the same outlet may have sparked the fire, which spread to the couch.
The Red Cross was called in to help the family find another place to stay temporarily.
No other information was available.