College Area House Fire Displaces 3

Three people and their three dogs were displaced by a raging house fire in the College area Thursday night.

Fire officials say one of the residents may have left something unattended on the stove at the home, located near 55th Street and Mary Lane.

When no one was home, the fire sparked, quickly spreading to the kitchen cabinets, the attic and exhaust vents, according to San Diego Fire-Rescue spokesman Lee Swanson.

By the time fire crews arrived, they saw smoke and fire pouring from the home.

They quickly extinguished the flames, but the fire had already caused an estimate $50,000 in damage to the building and $25,000 to the contents.

The American Red Cross was called in to help those displaced.

Contact Us