South Bay Murderer's Death Penalty Conviction Upheld - NBC 7 San Diego

South Bay Murderer's Death Penalty Conviction Upheld

Scott Erskine has been on death row at San Quentin State Prison since 2004 after a jury convicted him of the murders of Charlie Keever, 13, and Jonathan Sellers, 9

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    South Bay Murderer's Death Penalty Conviction Upheld
    The Jonathan Sellers And Charlie Keever Foundation
    Jonathan Sellers and Charlie Keever were molested and murdered in 1993. The community will remember and honor them at a candlelight vigil this week.

    The California Supreme Court decided Thursday to uphold a death penalty conviction for a man who molested and murdered two South Bay boys in 1993. 

    Scott Erskine has been on death row at San Quentin State Prison since 2004 after a jury convicted him of the murders of Charlie Keever, 13, and Jonathan Sellers, 9. Erskine was already serving a decades-long prison sentence for rape at the time.

    Keever and Sellers disappeared while on a bike ride along the Otay River in 1993. Their bodies were later found days later in a riverbed in the South Bay neighborhood of Palm City. Investigators said they had been beaten, raped and murdered.

    In a 40-page unanimous decision released Thursday, the state supreme court justices rejected all arguements made by Erskine’s appellate attorney, Kimberly Grove. 

    Victims' Mothers React to Moratorium on Death Penalty

    [DGO] Victims' Mothers React to Moratorium on Death Penalty

    NBC 7's Omari Fleming speaks with Milena Sellers Phillips and Maria Keever about the governor's moratorium on the death penalty.

    (Published Thursday, March 14, 2019)

    In the appeal, Grove argued that a judge wrongly removed a juror who opposed the death penalty and that the judge gave an an incorrect instruction that prejudiced the jury. 

    The court also rejected arguments that the death penalty is unconstitutional and was wrongly applied to Erskine in this case.

    Erskine's appeal came months after Governor Gavin Newsom signed a moratorium on death penalty for the more than 730 condemned inmates in California. 

    The order meant a reprieve for all individuals sentenced to death, a withdrawal of the state's lethal injection protocol, and the closing of San Quentin's never-used execution chamber. It did not mean a release of inmates or change in their conviction, a spokesperson for the governor's office said. 

    The mothers of the two boys, Maria Keever and Milena Sellers-Phillips, who have been fighting for decades to see Erskine's death sentence run its course, feared the moratorium rendered their efforts useless

    The order did very little to change the death penalty process, which hasn't executed a condemned inmate since 2006 when the state indefinitely suspended capital punishment to rework its lethal injection policies and procedures. 

    Locals React to Gov. Newsom's Pending Announcement to End Death Penalty

    [DGO] Locals React to Gov. Newsom's Pending Announcement to End Death Penalty

    NBC 7's Omari Fleming spoke to San Diegans with opinions of their own on the topic.

    (Published Tuesday, March 12, 2019)

    Under Newsom's order, condemned inmates remain on death row, sentenced to death, and their appeals continue. But no executions will be scheduled while the governor's moratorium remains in effect.

    The last inmate to be executed was Clarence Ray Allen, killed Jan. 17, 2006 at age 76. Allen, sentenced to death on three counts of first-degree murder, was on death row for more than two decades before a lethal injection was administered.

    Prior, the state had executed 13 inmates since the time the death penalty was reinstated in 1978.

    Newsom’s executive action is only temporary. Repeal of capital punishment would be up to California voters, who have consistently rejected statewide ballot measures to repeal the death penalty.

    Get the latest from NBC 7 San Diego anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android