As San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) gears up to take over our city on July 18-21, local experimental-prog/rock group Chon -- fresh off a Kenny G-boasting performance at Coachella in April -- have announced that they'll be nerding it up with the rest of us at the Convention Center.
Since 2008, the band (comprised of the Camarena brothers -- Mario, Nathan and Esiah -- and Erick Hansel) has found themselves rising near the top of the crop of new progressive-rock acts, touring with heavy-hitters like Coheed and Cambria, Animals As Leaders and Circa Survive, while racking up more than 40 million streams on Spotify. Not too shabby for hometown lads, eh?
They're certainly the genre's premier outfit in San Diego (155,000-plus Facebook fans can't be wrong), so it makes perfect sense that they'd treat the Comic-Con horde.
On Thursday, July 18, from 4-5 p.m., Chon will unveil a limited-edition, SDCC-exclusive gold vinyl version of their 2019 self-titled album (released on July 7 via Sumerian Records) at the War Machine Marketing booth (#1415).
And what's better than a rare record? A rare record autographed by the band! In addition to the collectible vinyl, band members will be on hand during that time for an in-person signing at the booth.
Since there'll undoubtedly be more than a few Chon diehards wandering around the Con, get there early, grab a free ticket, line up -- and go for the gold.
After their Comic-Con appearance, Chon embark on a world tour. Visit them online here and check out the band's tour dates below.
- July 28: Niigata, JP @ Fuji Rock Festival
- July 30: Taipei, TW @ The Wall
- July 31: Hong Kong @ TTN
- Aug. 1: Shanghai, CH @ YYT Park
- Aug. 2: Beijing, CH @ Omni Space
- Aug. 4: Selangor, ML @ Bentley Music Auditorium
- Aug. 5: Singapore @ Esplanade Annexe Studio
- Sept. 19: Slippery Rock, PA @ Resonance Festival
- Sept. 22: Manchester, UK @ Gorilla
- Sept. 23: Nottingham, UK @ Rescue Rooms
- Sept. 24: Glasgow, UK @ King Tut's Wah Wah Hut
- Sept. 25: Birmingham, UK @ The Asylum
- Sept. 26: Bristol, UK @ The Fleece
- Sept. 27: London, UK @ Islington Assembly Hall
- Sept. 28: Leeds, UK @ Brudenell Social Club
- Sept. 29: Brighton, UK @ The Haunt
- Oct. 1: Frankfurt, DE @ Zoom
- Oct. 2: Cologne, DE @ Luxor
- Oct. 3: Hamburg, DE @ Ubel and Gefrahrlich
- Oct. 4: Paris, FR @ Backstage by the Mill
- Oct. 5: Luzern, SW @ Konzerthaus Schuur
- Oct. 6: Munich, DE @ Fierwerk ev