Now we know: It’ll take more than a little heat to keep the Rev away from a show. While rockabilly band the Reverend Horton Heat were en route to San Diego early Wednesday morning, they caught fire -- literally.
Instead of having a psychobilly freakout, frontman Jim Heath woke up members of the band and crew around 4 a.m. Wednesday when he noticed smoke on the tour bus. The band’s bus pulled over on the southbound I-5 near Las Pulgas Road as the smoke pouring from the vehicle gave way to flames.
The Oceanside Fire Department responded and were able to manage the fire, which they believe started in a generator toward the back of the bus.
Fortunately, everyone onboard is safe, with no reported injuries. And of course, their show at Belly Up Wednesday night will go on. The Rev’s Facebook page posted this just after 10 a.m.: “The band is well, and tonight’s show is still on at Belly Up in Solana Beach. We’re looking forward to bringing the heat.” Now that’s rock & roll.
Hannah Lott-Schwartz, a San Diego native, moved back to the area after working the magazine-publishing scene in Boston. Now she’s straight trolling SD for all the music she missed while away. Want to help? Hit her up with just about anything at all over on Twitter, where -- though not always work-appropriate -- she means well.