'Extremely Dangerous' Man Sought in Series of Killings | NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

'Extremely Dangerous' Man Sought in Series of Killings

The attacks, described as "senseless" and random by homicide investigators, have renewed efforts to identify a person of interest sought following the killing of a homeless man Sunday



    A man was woken up by an altercation and looked outside to see the suspect light a sleeping homeless man on fire. NBC 7's Wendy Fry has more on the latest attack. (Published Wednesday, July 6, 2016)

    San Diego's mayor and police chief are urging the public to help homicide investigators find a man, seen on store surveillance video, who they believe is responsible for terrorizing the city's homeless community with four brutal attacks in four days.

    “These evil acts of violence are some of the worst I’ve seen in my 34 years in law enforcement,” San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said.

    Crimes Against Homeless ‘Despicable’ and ‘Evil’: SDPD ChiefCrimes Against Homeless ‘Despicable’ and ‘Evil’: SDPD ChiefSDPD Chief Shelley Zimmerman said the series of violent, deadly attacks on homeless victims that began July 3 are “despicable” crimes. “These evil acts of violence are some of the worst I’ve seen in my 34 years in law enforcement,” Zimmer said at a news conference. (Published Wednesday, July 6, 2016)

    The most recent attack occurred Wednesday, when a 23-year-old man was attacked while sleeping in a highly populated area of downtown San Diego. SDPD officials said the victim was hospitalized and is in grave condition. They have not identified the man because they are in the process of contacting his family.

    No motive has been assigned to the attacks, described as "senseless."

    Homicide investigator Capt. David Nisleit said there was nothing connecting Wednesday's victim to three other men who were either beaten or killed.

    Suspect Linked to Series of Attacks on HomelessSuspect Linked to Series of Attacks on HomelessSDPD Capt. David Nisliet said a man considered a person of interest in a series of violent, deadly attacks on homeless victims is now a suspect in the disturbing case. “We are quite confident this is the same person responsible for all of the crimes,” Nisliet said at a news conference Wednesday. (Published Thursday, July 14, 2016)

    SDPD officers have been distributing images taken from a Bay Park store that police believe show the alleged killer.

    "The methodology used in these crimes leads us to believe they’re being committed by the same person," Nisleit said.

    On Sunday Angelo De Nardo, 53, was found killed and set on fire along Morena Boulevard, east of Interstate 5, homicide investigators said.

    Shawn Longley, 41, was found by police Monday morning on Bacon Street in Ocean Beach. He had suffered blunt force trauma to his upper body and was pronounced dead at the scene.

    Manuel Mason, 61, was attacked about an hour earlier on Monday in San Diego's Midway District. He was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. San Diego Police identified him along with the other victims in the series during a Wednesday news conference.

    Then, at 5:10 a.m. Wednesday, an SDPD officer found a fourth man suffering "significant injuries" to his upper torso at State and West E Streets, near condos and the federal courthouse.

    Police said the suspect was last seen running north from the area.

    Homicide investigators want to question a man spotted on store surveillance video near the Morena Boulevard scene. The man purchased a gas can, a gallon of gasoline and a lighter about 15 minutes before De Nardo's body was discovered.

    San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer said that SDPD is "working around the clock" to find the suspect and asked the public to contact authorities with any information. He said SDPD was also engaging in extensive outreach to the homeless to keep them safe.

    ‘Our City Has Been Shaken’: Mayor on Homeless Attacks‘Our City Has Been Shaken’: Mayor on Homeless AttacksAt a news conference on Wednesday, San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer joined the San Diego Police Department to discuss a series of violent, deadly attacks on homeless victims that began July 3. “Our city has been shaken by these gruesome attacks. The last few days have been harrowing for those who struggle with homelessness,” Faulconer said. (Published Wednesday, July 6, 2016)

    NBC 7 tracked down the store clerk who sold a man fire supplies just 15 minutes before a fire was reported to police.

    The clerk, who wished only to be identified as Elliott, said he is haunted by the encounter.

    “If I knew what was going to happen, I would, like, examine him, but he was just another customer,” Elliott told NBC 7 in an exclusive interview.

    Images: Person Sought for Questioning in Homeless AttacksImages: Person Sought for Questioning in Homeless Attacks

    Homicide investigators warned the public not to approach the suspect but to call 911.

    Anyone with information can call the San Diego Police Department's Homicide Unit at (619) 531-2293 or the Crime Stoppers anonymous tip line at (888) 580-8477. A $1,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest.

    Police Respond to Homeless Attack DowntownPolice Respond to Homeless Attack DowntownNBC 7's Liberty Zabala reports from State Street and West E Street where a man was found with his clothes on fire. Police have not said if the incident is part of a series of deadly attacks on homeless men in the San Diego area. (Published Wednesday, July 6, 2016)

    Follow NBC 7 for the latest news, weather, and events:iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts