Tentative Deal Reached in Manziel Domestic Assault Case | NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Tentative Deal Reached in Manziel Domestic Assault Case

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Former NFL quarterback Johnny Manziel appears before a Dallas judge, who indicates prosecutors have reached an agreement to dismiss domestic violence charges against Manziel. (Published Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016)

    Former NFL quarterback Johnny Manziel and prosecutors have apparently reached an agreement to dismiss domestic violence charges against Manziel.

    Manziel was indicted in April by a Dallas County grand jury in connection with an alleged Jan. 29 incident involving his former girlfriend Colleen Crowley.

    Manziel, a Kerrville native, appeared in a Dallas courtroom Thursday where Judge Roberto Canas indicated that Manziel and prosecutors had an "agreement in principle" to drop the charges. Terms of the agreement have not been disclosed.

    "That's all in progress," Defense attorney Jim Darnell told the Associated Press. "Until we get something done, if we do, then we'll announce it."

    The judge said Manziel's attorneys and prosecutors have two weeks to finalize the agreement and file court documents and will reconvene at a hearing Dec. 1. Darnell said there was still work to be done, but that he was encouraged.

    Manziel declined to comment as he left the courtroom after the hearing.

    "He's doing OK," Darnell said. "Tough kid."

     

    Crowley said she and Manziel had a confrontation at a Dallas hotel that continued to the valet stand where she was forced into a car while pleading for help. When she later tried to jump out of the car, she said Manziel hit her.

    Crowley was also granted a protective order that prohibits Manziel from being within 500 feet of her for two years and possessing firearms. He was also ordered to pay her legal fees in the amount of $12,000.

    Manziel posted bond May 4 in Highland Park after being booked on the misdemeanor assault family violence charge. He was not restricted from travelling or consuming alcohol.

    Manziel's case had been scheduled to be heard Sept. 15, Sept. 29 and Oct. 3, but was rescheduled each time.

    Since the indictment, the Heisman Trophy-winner lost a number of endorsement deals and was cut by the Cleveland Browns. He remains unsigned and has re-enrolled at Texas A&M University.

    NBC 5's Tim Ciesco and Frank Heinz and the Associated Press' Schuyler Dixon contributed to this report.