Photo outside the Courtyard Marriott Hotel where a fire was reported just after 10 a.m. on Dec.22. Smoke could be smelled from blocks away and police closed off roads nearby.
A smoldering fire at a downtown hotel caused over two dozen patrons to evacuate and streets to be blocked off on Thursday morning, according to the San Diego's Fire-Rescue Department.
At about 9:36 a.m., firefighters received a call of smoke coming from the second and mezzanine floor of the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel located at 1027 6th Ave and Broadway, said Maurice Luque, a spokesperson for SDFD.
During an investigation of the hotel's floors, firefighters discovered a smoldering fire in the vents, according to Luque.
The fire originated from a spark created by wielding work being done on the mezzanine floor, said Luque. That spark made its way into a ventilation shaft in the hotel's dryer area where it caught some lint on fire, Luque added.
Water was being put down the shaft in order to contain the fire.
The heavy smoke caused the closure of southbound 6th and C Street.
About 35 people were said to be inside the hotel during the incident, though no mandatory evacuations were ordered as some people were asked to remain in their rooms during the incident, Luque said.
No injuries were reported.
Five engines, two crews, a rescue team and about 50 personnel were on the scene.