Electrical Fire Burns Old Town Candle Shop

A fire sparked at Toby’s Candle & Soap Shop around 1:15 a.m. Saturday

By Monica Garske
|  Sunday, Jul 15, 2012  |  Updated 12:33 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Electrical Fire Burns Old Town Candle Shop

NBCSanDiego

A fire caused severe structural damage to the historic Toby’s Candle & Soap Shop in Old Town San Diego Saturday morning, according to authorities.

Fire crews responded to the blaze at the shop at 2545 San Diego Ave. around 1:15 a.m.

When fire crews arrived, they found large flames shooting from the roof of the store.

Officials said the fire was knocked down within 15 minutes.

On Saturday afternoon fire investigators confirmed that an electrical fire caused the shop to go up in flames.

Officials said the fire caused approximately $300,000 worth of damages to the candle shop -- $200,000 in exterior damages and $100,000 in damages to the interior.

The store, built in 1929, will temporarily close for repairs.

No other damages to surrounding buildings in the historic area were reported.

Follow NBC7 for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out