San Diego firefighters were called to a downtown high-rise building after more than 20 people reported feeling ill from breathing chemical fumes.
People working at 6th and B Streets started complaining of respiratory problems just before 1:30 p.m.
The epoxy resin being applied on the floor of the basement in the building sent fumes to the first and second floors, firefighters said.
As a result, employees of Ashford University started suffering nausea, water eyes or trouble breathing.
Ambulances and emergency personnel arrived to treat 21 people who were released. Three people were transported to a nearby hospital for further treatment.
“If you have some breathing problems, it can make your breathing problems worse,” said San Diego Fire-Rescue spokesperson Maurice Luque. “It affects different people different ways.”
Ashford University decided to close business for the day.
On the third floor there is a daycare with 100 children that were taking their naps. The air quality on that floor was fine so officials did not evacuate the children, Luque said.
More NBC 7 Stories:
- Investigations Launched in Drone Mishap
- 2 Teen Girls Wanted in Robbery
- Would-Be Thief Tries to Steal Cartful of MacBooks
- San Diego Woman Donates Kidney to Stranger
- Oldest Pygmy Hippo Celebrates B-Day