Child May Have Started Bay Terraces House Fire: Officials

Residents were overcome by smoke while watching television

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Nine people, including three kids escaped a house fire in Bay Terraces Wednesday.

    The residents were watching television when the fire broke out just after 11 p.m. inside the home on Palm Wood Drive.

    Family Survives House Fire

    [DGO] Family Survives House Fire
    Nine people, including three kids live in a home in Bay Terraces that burned in an overnight fire Thursday. NBC 7's Steven Luke spoke with resident Dale Haake about the moment they all escaped the flames. (Published Thursday, May 10, 2012)

    They say they were overcome by smoke and could feel the heat coming from the fire in a back room.

    "He said he smelled smoke and I looked around the room to see if it was in my room, looked in the kitchen and the kitchen was full of smoke,” said Dale Haake.

    He said another resident came out into the kitchen and said there was a fire in her room.

    One pet did not survive. Family members said the dog ran back inside as they were frantically trying to get it out of its kennel.

    It appears the fire may have been sparked by one of the children firefighters said.

    One resident said he has caught his 6-year-old daughter playing with the stove in the past.

    Follow NBCSanDiego for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts