Some Gum Can Kill Your Pets

Xylitol is good for humans but bad for cats and dogs

By Eric S. Page
|  Friday, Aug 28, 2009  |  Updated 6:06 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Some Gum Can Kill Your Pets

Getty Images

Eating the gum is not always fatal to pets -- they may just become sickened, but they will need treatment.

advertisement

That stick of gum you have in your purse or pocket may be tasty to you, but it could be deadly to your golden retriever Molly or cost Snowball all nine lives.

Some local vets say they are seeing more dogs who have ingested xylitol, which is found in fruits and sugar-free gum.

"They can go into liver failure, and it's a pretty bad, life-threatening toxicity,” Dr. Monica Clare told the San Diego Union-Tribune.
   
While it's harmless to humans, pets will die if they aren't treated quickly. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, and a weak and wobbly appearance.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out