Eating the gum is not always fatal to pets -- they may just become sickened, but they will need treatment.
That stick of gum you have in your purse or pocket may be tasty to you, but it could be deadly to your golden retriever Molly or cost Snowball all nine lives.
Some local vets say they are seeing more dogs who have ingested xylitol, which is found in fruits and sugar-free gum.
"They can go into liver failure, and it's a pretty bad, life-threatening toxicity,” Dr. Monica Clare told the San Diego Union-Tribune.
While it's harmless to humans, pets will die if they aren't treated quickly. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, and a weak and wobbly appearance.