A recall has been issued for about 42,500 Kenmore oscillating fan heaters sold at Sears and Kmart stores last fall after reports that the fans could overheat and catch fire, officials said.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said a broken motor mount can cause the units to overheat, catch fire and ignite nearby items, posing a fire and burn hazard to customers.
The commission said stores have received seven reports of the fan heaters smoking or catching fire, including two reports of injuries.
Officials advise consumers to immediately turn off and unplug the recalled fan heaters and return them to any Sears or Kmart store for a full refund.
The fans were sold between Septembers and November of 2013 for between $35 and $40.
Customers can call Sears and Kmart toll-free at (888) 820-3341 from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday.