Tim Pyles of FM 94/9 interviewing Sprung Monkey recently at the Casbah.
When we found out that the Casbah would be taking the whole of January to celebrate 25 years, we couldn't be left out of the fun, so we decided there would be no better location for our January edition of SoundDiego LIVE. We're bringing Sprung Monkey and the Gods of Science for our monthly free show. Of course, this was a much desired show, and as such, our guest list is officially closed and you will only be able to attend if you're on the list. This will definitely fill to capacity, so get there early because even if you're on the list, we can't guarantee entry for all the people who RSVP'd.
At the same time the Casbah is having its own big party -- Tim Mays and friends will take the stage at the North Park Theatre to share stories, interviews, photos and maybe even some surprise performances. This is a winner night all around, with the White Buffalo playing a sold-out Belly Up, Kisses playing at Soda Bar, and a free late show at the Casbah with Yacht Party after SoundDiego LIVE -- they're perhaps the best cover band you will ever see.
Thursday, Jan. 23:
- SoundDiego LIVE, featuring Sprung Monkey, the Gods of Science @ Casbah (free with RSVP, 7-10 p.m.)
- 25 Years of the Casbah: An Evening With Tim Mays & Friends @ North Park Theatre
- Yacht Party After Party @ Casbah (10:30 p.m, free)
- Casbah presents Kisses, Jeffrey Jerusalem, Western Scene @ Soda Bar
- The Krass Bros, Hong Kong Fuzz @ Bar Pink
- Casbah presents the White Buffalo, Trouble in the Wind @ Belly Up
- Okapi Sun, Jesika VonRabbit, the Illuminauts, DJ Adam Salter @ Quality Social
- Joshua White NYC Quartet @ Athenaeum Music & Arts Library (7:30 p.m.)
- Marqay (Members of Tiger Milk Imports), Light Thieves, Landis @ Tin Can
- Craig of Suede, Edward Herda @ Lestat's
- Nyctophilia, Jimbo James, Blancnoire, Damn JVLZ, Mike Lepiere @ U-31
- Requiem for the Rockets, Balms, Huh Uh, Leins @ Che Cafe
- Backwater Blues Band @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Heartless Breakers, Aim for the Engine, Ash Williams @ Tower Bar
- Alley Cat Street (celebrating the music of Jerry Garcia) @ Winston's
- The Shy Fox, Zombie Barbie, EstroGenius, the Roman Watchdogs @ The Shakedown
- Red City Radio, Elway, Direct Hit, Caskitt @ Til-Two Club
- Rockin the Free World: Sonic Clouds,Shura of BI-2 & Electrik Tank (featuring Valerie Saufudinov, the father of Russian rock & roll) @ Brick By Brick
- Videodrome @ Whistle Stop
- Bill Magee @ Tio Leo's
- Moonlight Serenade Orchestra @ Crystal Ballroom (414 N. Magnolia, El Cajon)
- Sunny Rude, DJ Reefah, TRC Soundsystem @ Gallagher's Irish Pub
- Tori Roze & the Hot Mess, The Outriders @ 710 Beach Club
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.