I know you expect me to talk about the Decemberists, and how their latest, The King Is Dead, is their most successful record to date, recently taking the top spot on Billboard's Top 200, but the show is sold out,and I don't always want to rub it in for those of you who didn't get tickets.
Instead, I want to encourage you to get out early this afternoon for a special matinee show at the Casbah. Drag the River returns today with a 4 p.m. show, and at only $5, the show won't break the bank, though if you've ever been to a Drag the River show, you know that you'll probably want to take a cab as you partake in some daytime drinking with the band.
Take it easy enough, and you can double-dip with a nighttime show, whether you are headed to House of Blues, Habitat House, Bar Pink or any of the other great shows happening around town.
Sunday, Feb. 13
- Drag the River, Steve Soto and the Twisted Hearts @ Casbah (doors open at 4 p.m.)
- Casbah presents the Decemberists, Mountain Man @ House of Blues (sold out)
- Jarrod Gorbel, Atlantic/Pacific @ Bar Pink
- Get Back Loretta, Wil Cope, Paperplanes @ Casbah
- Trouble in the Wind, Norman @ Habitat House (1008 21st St., 7 p.m.)
- Sugar and Gold, Yip Deceiver (featuring members of Of Montreal), Jamuel Saxon, @ Soda Bar
- Miss Erika Davies @ El Cajon Library (2-3 p.m.)
- The Widows @ Tower Bar
- Jackie Green, Honeymoon @ Belly Up
- Spell Talk, Marshmellow Men, Tyler Daughn + Nasty @ Tin Can
- Cactus Jacks and friends @ Winston's
- Candye Kane @ Viejas Dreamcatcher Showroom
- Pants Karaoke hosted by Scotty Hoopes @ Eleven
- The Anything Goes DJS @ Whistle Stop
- Valentine's Massacre Eve Party, featuring Privatized Air, Hocus, the Eez, the Very @ Ruby Room (free)
- Bianca Paras, Gian Caballero, Robin Willbanks @ Lestat's
- Natasha Kosaily and the Campanile @ Kava Lounge
- Jose Sinatra's OB-O-ke @ Winston's
- Tribe of Kings/Reggae Vibes @ U- 31
- Jesse Davis @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge Brunch (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- Monette Marino-Keita @ Humphreys Backstage Lounge (8 p.m.)
- Los Amigos Invisibles, Cantua, Shorline Rootz @ 4th&B
- Taboo Band (tribute to Sade) @ Anthology
- California Guitar Trio @ AMSD (Acoustic Music San Diego)
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her music blog San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. She also provides social media content for the Casbah. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.