Body Found After Standoff and Explosion in North Haven

Police said they have found human remains while investigating after a police standoff and fiery explosion on Quinnipiac Avenue in North Haven Wednesday night that injured 10 police officers.

The incident began as a domestic violence situation on Wednesday afternoon, according to police, and authorities said a woman contacted police.

North Haven First Selectman Michael Freda initially told reporters that he believed a man was holding his wife inside a home on Quinnipiac Avenue, but police later confirmed that there were no hostages.

According to Connecticut State Police Sgt. Marc Gelvin, the man inside the home refused to communicate with police and barricaded himself inside.

The South Central Regional SWAT team was called in and while they were clearing the outside of the home, there was an explosion from a barn on the property around 8:30 p.m.

North Haven police said Thursday afternoon that 10 team members officers from the tactical team were injured and nine were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital.

They including five East Haven officers, three North Haven officers and one officer from Branford. Police said their injuries were from the explosion and they were held overnight for observation.

Ten police officers were injured in a fiery explosion during a SWAT operation on Quinnipiac Avenue in North Haven Wednesday night.

Four of the officers have been released and five are still being treated, according to a Facebook post from East Haven Police on Thursday afternoon.

Two of the officers released are East Haven police officers, according to East Haven Police.

The officers who remain in the hospital have serious injuries that range from concussions to leg injuries, but they are not life-threatening, according to police.

Captain Geoff Morgan, of Branford police, said his officer who was injured is "banged up," but the injuries are not traumatic.

It is not clear what caused the explosion and the fire marshal is investigating the cause. On Friday, North Haven's fire chief said they found propane tanks, gasoline, containers that possibly held flammable liquids at some time.

The chief commended the firefighters for the work they did to protect nearby homes.  

“Our hearts go out to the brave first responders who put their lives on the line, and we wish those injured a safe and speedy recovery. Yesterday’s tragedy serves as a stark reminder that domestic violence is a serious issue that must continue to be addressed and remain at the forefront of the national conversation. If you or someone you know is the victim of domestic violence, please know that you have a voice and there are resources available to help,” Gov. Dannel Malloy said in a statement Thursday.

Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman commended the woman who went to police.

“I applaud the woman who reported this incident, she showed tremendous bravery and courage. Her actions may have saved lives, including her own,” Wyman said in a statement.

It's not clear which building on the property the remains were found in and state police said the office of the chief medical examiner will determine who the person is and how he or she died. Demolition has begun on what's left of the property.

Although authorities have not identified any of the parties involved in this incident, public records show the couple who lived at the home is currently going through a divorce that the wife filed for on April 18.

Quinnipiac Avenue reopened to traffic Thursday afternoon.

DroneRanger video shows the massive emergency response on Quinnipiac Avenue in North Haven, where a domestic situation turned into a police standoff and six SWAT team members were injured in an explosion while trying to communicate with the suspect.

Neighbors said they could feel the force of the explosion.

"I literally saw a flash come from my house, come from that house, and fire went through the window and up through his roof and the flash. It blinded me for a quick second," said resident Shaun Pitts.

Neighbors were asked to shelter-in-place and immediate neighbors were evacuated.

Connecticut State Police are leading the investigation with the assistance of multiple local police and fire departments.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Us