All school districts in San Diego County have announced closures in wake of the novel coronavirus pandemic, following guidance by local health officials. Many also announced that students can begin picking up free meals on Monday.
Any student age 2 to 18 can go to any school site providing meals and receive food during this period of school closures due to COVID-19, the San Diego County Office of Education said. The full list of schools offering services can be found here.
San Diego Unified School District, the second-largest school district in California, announced that eight locations would provide free meals to students.
Daily prepared meals will be provided free of charge, distributed via drive-thru or walk-up by the district's Food and Nutrition Services department, the district said.
Each child 18 years or younger may take one lunch and one breakfast for the next day, according to the announcement. For every listed district, children must be present to receive meals and all food must be consumed offsite.
The following San Diego Unified School District locations will start serving weekday meals on March 16 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Clark Middle School - 4388 Thorn St., San Diego, CA 92105
- Cherokee Point Elementary - 3735 38th St., San Diego, CA 92105
- Sherman Elementary School - 301 22nd St., San Diego, CA 92102
- Zamorano Fine Arts Academy - 2655 Casey St., San Diego, CA 92139
- Kearny High School - 1954 Komet Way., San Diego, CA 92111
- Walker Elementary School - 9245 Hillery Dr., San Diego, CA 92126
- Farb Middle School - 4880 La Cuenta Dr., San Diego, CA 92124
- O' Farrell Charter School - 6130 Skyline Dr., San Diego, CA 92114
Also beginning March 16, Carlsbad Unified School District will offer food service from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm, Monday through Friday, at Jefferson Elementary School located at 3743 Jefferson St.
Escondido Union Elementary and Escondido Union High school districts will open eight locations to cover breakfast and lunch on weekdays.
- Escondido, Orange Glen, and San Pasqual high schools will be open from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for lunch.
- Central, Juniper, and Rock Springs elementary schools, Del Dios Academy, and Mission Middle School will be open from 6 to 8 a.m. for breakfast.
Fallbrook Union Elementary School District will offer food service from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on weekdays at the following locations:
- Maie Ellis Elementary School - 400 W. Elder St., Fallbrook, CA 92028
- William H. Frazier Elementary School - 1835 Gum Tree Lane, Fallbrook, CA 92028
- La Paloma Elementary School - 300 Heald Lane, Fallbrook, CA 92028
- Deluz School House - 40153 De Luz Murrieta Rd., CA 92028
- San Onofre School - 200 Pate Rd., San Clemente, CA 92672
- Mary Fay Pendleton Elementary School - 110 Marine Dr., Oceanside, CA 92058
NBC 7 could not clarify Grossmont Union High School District's meal service plan, but the San Diego County website says, "All high schools will have food services until further notice."
La Mesa-Spring Valley Schools will offer meals from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. until March 27 at the following locations. Breakfast will be served from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. on March 16 only and then will be distributed during lunch for the following days.
- La Mesa Arts Academy, 4200 Parks Ave., La Mesa, CA 91941
- Parkway Middle School, 9009 Park Plaza Dr., La Mesa, CA 91942
- Spring Valley Academy, 3900 Conrad Dr., Spring Valley, CA 91977
- STEAM Academy, 1001 Leland St., Spring Valley, CA 91978
Oceanside Unified School District will begin offering free to-go meals Monday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following locations.
- Oceanside High School - 1 Pirates Cove Way, Oceanside CA 92054
- El Camino High School - 400 Rancho Del Oro Dr., Oceanside, CA 92057
- Mission Elementary - 2100 Mission Ave. Oceanside, CA 92058
- Libby Elementary - 423 W. Redondo Dr., Oceanside, CA 92057
Poway Unified School District will offer to-go lunches at all school sites from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Free to-go breakfasts will also be offered at the following sites that normally serve breakfast from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., according to the district.
- Los Penasquitos Elementary School - 14125 Cuca St., San Diego, CA 92129
- Midland Elementary School - 13910 Midland Rd., Poway, CA 92064
- Pomerado Elementary School - 12321 9th St., Poway, CA 92064
- Valley Elementary School - 13000 Bowron Rd. #5799, Poway, CA 92064
- Meadowbrook Middle School - 12320 Meadowbrook Ln., Poway, CA 92064
- Mt. Carmel High School - 9550 Carmel Mountain Rd., San Diego, CA 92129
- Poway High School - 15500 Espola Rd., Poway, CA 92064
- Westview High School - 13500 Camino Del Sur, San Diego, CA 92129
San Marcos Unified School District will provide to-go meals at all schools from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on weekdays.
- La Mirada Elementary School - 222 Avenida De La Madrid, San Ysidro, CA 92173
- San Ysidro Middle School - 4345 Otay Mesa Rd., San Diego, CA 92154
- Willow Elementary School - 226 Willow Rd., San Ysidro, CA 92173
South Bay Union School District will also provide meals from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in various locations:
- Bayside STEAM Academy -
- 490 Emory Street Imperial Beach, CA 91932
- Berry Elementary School - 2001 Rimbey Avenue, San Diego, CA 92154
- Central Elementary School - 1290 Ebony Avenue Imperial Beach, CA 91932
- Emory Academy of Global Leadership and Empowerment - 1915 Coronado Avenue San Diego, CA 92154
- Imperial Beach Charter School - 650 Imperial Beach Blvd Imperial Beach, CA 91932
- Mendoza Elementary School - 2050 Coronado Avenue San Diego, CA 92154
- Nestor Language Academy - 1455 Hollister Street San Diego, CA 92154
- Nicoloff Elementary - 1777 Howard Avenue San Ysidro, CA 92173
- Oneonta Elementary - 1311 Tenth Street Imperial Beach, CA 91932
- Pence Elementary - 877 Via Tonga Court San Diego, CA 92154
- Sunnyslope Elementary - 2500 Elm Avenue San Diego, CA 92154
- VIP Village Preschool - 1001 Fern Avenue Imperial Beach, CA 91932
Sweetwater Union High School District will provide to-go breakfast and lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at about 16 locations including Castle Park Middle and High, Chula Vista Middle and High, Southwest Middle and High and Sweetwater High.
Vista Unified School District will serve meals during the weeks of March 16 and March 23, but will not serve meals during spring break beginning March 30. Meals will be available from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the following locations.
- Roosevelt Middle School - 850 Sagewood Dr., Oceanside, CA 92057
- Vista High School - 1 Panther Way, Vista, CA 92084
- Grapevine Elementary School - 630 Grapevine Rd., Vista, CA 92083
- Rancho Buena Vista High School - 1601 Longhorn Dr., Vista, CA 92081
- Foothill Oak Elementary School - 1370 Oak Dr., Vista, CA 92084
- Boys and Girls Club of Vista - 410 W California Ave., Vista, CA 92083
This is not a complete list of every school district in the county. Please check with your local district for the latest.
Click here for the San Diego County Office of Education's list of meal service sites.
In addition to the aforementioned information, the California Department of Education's mobile app "CA Meals for Kids" has been updated to help families find meals amid the school closures.
Read the latest coronavirus news here.