San Diego

Power Pole Falls Onto Santee Home, Leaving Hundreds Without Power During Heat Wave

Hundreds of Santee residents were left without power after a power pole fell onto a home, sparking a small fire. 

The pole fell onto the home, located on Rosemonde Lane, around 11:30 a.m. Sunday. The apartment complex is right off Mission Gorge Road. 

Neighbors heard an explosion and saw power lines snap when the pole came tumbling down. 

The fall sparked a small fire that charred an air conditioning unit. 

Initially, 2,900 customers were left without power during a heat wave. By 2 p.m., less than 1,000 customers were left without power. As of 11 p.m., just 312 customers were left without electricity. SDG&E estimates the power will be back on by 1 a.m. Monday.  

Neighbors called San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E) about the leaning pole days ago, but nothing was done, residents say. 

Crews closed eastbound Mission Gorge Road for a period of time and conducted traffic control. The area has since reopened. 

No further information is available. 

Contact Us