A registered sex offender was injured by his neighbor after police say the neighbor's 3-year-old girl was kidnapped from her bedroom through an open window.
Francisco "Frankie" Diaz, 46, was being held without bail Monday on allegations of four felony counts including kidnapping, threat to cause death, lewd and lascivious acts with a minor and sodomy with a minor.
A family living on Maple Street in Oak Park called San Diego police Saturday to report the kidnapping of their toddler from her bedroom.
The girl was found walking on the street just before 10 a.m.
When officers arrived, they found Diaz was injured during an altercation with the girl's father.
Diaz had been spotted earlier in the day looking into a sliding glass door of the girl's home, police said.
He's accused of using an open window to remove the girl from her bedroom and take her to his own home just two houses away.
NBC 7 has learned Diaz not only has a criminal history dating back to 2000, but he’s also a registered sex offender and is listed on the Megan’s Law website.
The alleged incidents happened in a residential community located steps away from Oak Park Elementary School.
Neighbors of Diaz voiced concern after learning someone living so close to an elementary school was also a registered sex offender, however, they opted not to give NBC 7 a statement for fear of retaliation.
A California Supreme Court decision in 2015 ruled restrictions for sex offenders living near schools or parks would be implemented on a case-by-case basis.
SDPD told NBC 7 that Diaz was in compliance with the law. Diaz is scheduled to be arraigned on August 15.
The neighborhood is located north of State Route 94 and east of Interstate 805. There is also a playground and baseball field at the corner of Maple Street and 52nd Street.