Martin Luther King Jr. Day is observed the third Monday in January, celebrating the life and legacy of the Civil Rights leader, as well as a commitment to service.
Here's what services will be impacted in the county and city of San Diego.
No Delay in Trash Collection:
Get San Diego local news, weather forecasts, sports and lifestyle stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC San Diego newsletters.
There will be a normal schedule for trash and recycling collection services on Monday within the City of San Diego. Residents in other cities should check with their waste service for holiday service schedules.
The Miramar Landfill, Greenery and Recycling Center will be open during normal hours, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Time restrictions on on-street parking and yellow zones within the City of San Diego will not be enforced. Red, white and blue zones will still be enforced every day.
Be aware that parking on Port property and in different cities may vary.
Parks & Recreation:
- Balboa Park will be open, though all public buildings and museums in Balboa Park will be closed. The following will also be closed:
- Balboa Park Activity Center
- Botanical Building
- Casa del Prado
- Municipal Gym
- War Memorial Building.
- Golf courses and starter booths will be open, holiday rates will apply. Visit the golf course page for more information.
- Chollas Lake will be closed
- City reservoirs will be open at regular hours.
- All other city reservoirs will be closed.
- Mission Trails Regional Park Visitor Center will be closed.
- Tecolote Nature Center will be closed.
- All city recreation centers and city pools are closed.
- All community centers are closed
The following skate parks will be open:
- Bill and Maxine Wilson Skate Park
- Carmel Valley Skate Park
- Charles L. Lewis III Memorial Skate Park
- Rancho Peñasquitos Skate Park
- Robb Field Skate Park
- City Heights Skate Park
- Linda Vista Skate Park
- All Administrative Offices in the city of San Diego will be closed.
- San Diego County offices, library branches, and animal shelters will also be closed
- The Testing, Employment Information Center and Background/Fingerprinting offices within the Personnel Department will also be closed.
- All libraries will be closed
- The Family Justice Center will be closed. Individuals needing help with domestic violence should call 911 and/or the Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-888-385-4657.
- Open Space and Maintenance Assessment District Offices will be closed.
Police and fire emergency crews will not be impacted by the holiday. The citywide emergency dispatch center will be on duty.
Public transportation MTS
- All MTS buses and Trolleys will run on a weekday service schedule on MLK Day, Jan. 17.
- Regular Service on the lines: Rapid Express Routes 280, 290, and COASTER Connection Routes 972, 973, 974, 978, 979
- Closed: Transit Store, PRONTO Support Center, Customer Service
- MTS Information and Trip Planning: Open 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on MLK Day
Updated schedules can be accessed on the MTS website.