A dislodged sewer pump that caused lifeguards to become ill at La Jolla Cove has been fixed, city officials confirmed Monday.
Sewage problems shut down San Diego's new lifeguard tower at Children’s Pool beach over the summer. The tower was closed soon after it opened in June, leaving beachgoers to use Porta-Potties nearby.
Lifeguards had fallen ill from breathing in the fumes when a lid was dislodged in the pump room.
The pump room, which was used for storage, will also be emptied out but will remain accessible, and a small area adjacent to the pump room will be enclosed “to ensure ongoing operability and accessibility to the pump for future maintenance and repair needs,” according to city spokesperson Katie Keach.
Keach said the lid has been re-secured to avoid any additional illnesses.
NBC 7 is awaiting a report from the Teamster 911 Lifeguard union.
The tower was years in the making, no thanks to seal pupping seasons and funding delays. Design and construction costs: $4.25 million.