Los Angeles police say an infant died and a little girl and a woman were hospitalized after they were found naked, unconscious and covered in a white powder-like substance in a store parking lot.
Capt. Michael Rimkunas says police responded shortly before 2 a.m. Thursday to reports of a female heard screaming near the market in South Los Angeles.
Rimkunas says the three victims were found naked on the pavement, covered in a large amount of the mysterious substance.
The infant died at the scene. The 8-year-old girl is stable and the 26-year-old woman -- believed to be the girls' mother -- is in critical condition.
Investigators have determined a white powder covering an infant found in a parking lot who later died is some sort of baby product.
Officer Irma Mota says a hazardous materials team determined the powder was not toxic and likely a baby product, possibly baby powder.
Mota says the victims showed no obvious signs of injury.
Detectives will review surveillance footage and look for witnesses.