Heat Blamed for Electrical Fire That Cut Power - NBC 7 San Diego

Heat Blamed for Electrical Fire That Cut Power

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Heat Related Fire at Electrical Facility

    Officials confirmed that a small fire at an electrical facility in Van Nuys was heat related and caused when a circuit breaker failed. Conan Nolan reports for NBC4 News at 5 p.m. from Van Nuys Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014 (Published Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014)

    Oppressive triple-digit heat was blamed on Tuesday for causing a fire at a DWP facility, cutting power to a swath of the San Fernando Valley and shutting down a one-block stretch of road while crews doused the flames, officials said.

    Receiving station circuit breaker failed. Power was shut for five minutes. Small fire was put out quickly while officials closed the road off Oxnard Street and Tyrone Avenue in all directions.

    The fire came during a punishing heat storm that caused outages in parts of Los Angeles and Orange counties since Sunday.

    Transformer problems were blamed for power outages Sunday and Monday during the heat wave.