If you ever watch VH1 late at night, you might stumble upon old episodes of 120 Minutes. The show originally aired late nights on Sundays on MTV in the '90s and is responsible for turning me into the music-obsessed fan that I still am today. An artist who was considered groundbreaking all those years ago was Matthew Sweet, whose video for "Girlfriend" was not only an intro to college rock, the predecessor of today's "indie" label, but an introduction to Japanese animation as well. Decades later, Sweet is still at it, making music and touring, and tonight, you can catch the songwriter with a full band at the Belly Up and take yourself right back to one of those early pioneers of indie rock. For great local shows, head to Bar Pink for Shades McCool and Miss New Buddha or to Soda Bar for AJ Froman and Demasiado. For your EDM fix, catch Zhu and Tokimonsta at the Observatory. Looks like a worthy Monday night for me.
Monday, Oct. 22:
- Matthew Sweet, Mostly Sunny @ Belly Up
- An Evening with Simple Minds: Walk Between Worlds Tour @ Humphreys Concerts by the Bay (sold out)
- Shades McCool, New Miss Buddha @ Bar Pink
- AJ Froman, Demasiado, Braggers @ Soda Bar
- Zhu, Tokimonsta @ Observatory North Park
- Ingested, Enterprise Earth, I Declare War, Bodysnatcher, Aethere @ Brick by Brick
- Motown on Mondays @ The Office
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Makossa Mondays with DJ Tah Rei @ Seven Grand
- University Centers & Vis Arts Department Presents: Pecha Kucha @ The Loft, UCSD
- Marklyn @ De Oro Mine Co.
- Andy & Nathan @ Martini's Above Fourth
- Strictly Acoustic @ Navajo Live
- '80s with Junior theDISCOpunk @ The Brass Rail
- Blue Largo @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Electric Relaxation: '90s Hip-Hop/Chill Beats @ Whistle Stop
- Wheels of the Industry @ Live Wire
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- Acoustic Night/Industry Night @ Henry's Pub
- 31 Flavors @ U-31
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.