If you know New Way On, the Newports, Squarecrow or Western Settings, then this is going to make you really happy: Local supergroup Hey, Chels are releasing their new self-titled EP on vinyl in partnership with La Escalera Records, Wiretap Records and A-F Records.
The six-song EP, engineered by Patrick Ryan Heaney (Cage the Elephant, Cold War Kids, the War on Drugs), features the lead single "Sludge Town, USA," which Deli Magazine has called "a muscular, guitar-driven ode to classic alternative rock."
That's a lot of muscle. Vocalist/pianist Jacque Mendez (New Way On), drummer Stephanie Presz (the Newports), guitarist Kevin White (Squarecrow) and bassist Ricky Schmidt (Western Settings) comprise Hey, Chels, and they'll be heading out on a West Coast tour this winter, starting with a New Year's Eve show at Tower Bar with Civil War Rust, Mercy Music, Jennie Cotterill, Squarecrow, Le Saboteur, Making Incredible Time and Se Vende.
- Dec. 31 at Tower Bar in San Diego: Le New Year's Show with Civil War Rust, Mercy Music, Jennie Cotterill (Bad Cop/Bad Cop), Squarecrow, Le Saboteur, Making Incredible Time and Se Vende
- Jan. 1 at Toxic Toast Records in Long Beach with Micah Schnabel, Stay Wild, Ursula and art by Vanessa Jean Speckman
- Jan. 2 at a surprise venue in Sacramento
- Jan. 3 at The Ivy Room in Albany with Zipped In and Reunions
- Jan. 4 at Hawthorn Hideaway in Portland with Throw and Inebriates
- Jan. 5 at the Kraken in Seattle with Junebugs, Fox Hole Norman, Bobby’s Oar