The San Diego Symphony’s annual summer concert series along the waterfront will bring some big names and iconic pieces of classic music to the scenic bayside stage.
The Bayside Summer Nights 2019 season, announced this weekend, includes live music as well as movie screenings accompanied by a live symphony orchestra playing the score. The season kicks off June 28 and runs through Sept. 1 at Embarcadero Marina Park South.
The season kicks off with a bang with “Star-Spangled Pops,” a three-day concert (June 28 to June 29) that pays tribute to America ahead of the Fourth of July. The Symphony will perform patriotic tunes and selections from movies and Broadway, ending each show with fireworks.
On the Fourth of July, Lyle Lovett, an American country singer-songwriter, will perform some of his hits for the patriotic holiday. At the Bayside Summer Nights venue, concertgoers will have a front-row seat to San Diego’s annual “Big Bay Boom” fireworks spectacular, which pops off at 9 p.m.
The season also features Broadway star Cynthia Erivo, Dvorak's new world symphony, "Back to the Future" in concert, The B-52s and more. Some highlights include:
- June 30: Play Ball: A Symphonic Celebration of the Padres at 50
- July 5: The Doo Wop Project
- July 6: The Midtown Men (Stars from the Original Broadway Cast of Jersey Boys)
- July 7: Dvorak's New World Symphony
- July 12: Legendary Women's Voices: An Evening with Cynthia Erivo
- July 13 - 14: "Happy Potter and the Half Blood Prince" in Concert
- July 19: "Galaxy Quest" in Concert
- July 20: "Back to the Future" in Concert
- July 25: Congas and Bongos: "Monogo" Santamaria and Jack "Mr. Bongo" Constanzo
- July 26 - 27: Hooray for Hollywood: A Night at the Oscars
- July 28: Common with the San Diego Symphony
- Aug. 1 - 2: "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back" in Concert
- Aug. 3: The B-52s
- Aug. 4: Beethoven by the Way
- Aug. 8: A Nancy Wilson Tribute
- Aug. 9 - 10: Classic Albums Live Presents The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
- Aug. 16 - 17: Some Enchanted Evening: The Broadway Hits of Rodgers, Hammerstein and Hart
- Aug. 22: Miles Davis: Miles Ahead + 19
- Aug. 23: "Singin' in the Rain" in Concert
- Aug. 24: Chaka Khan
- Aug. 25: The O'Jays Plus The Commodores
Bayside Summer Nights will wrap with its three-day concert, “1812 Tchaikovsky,” on Aug. 30 through Sept. 1. The season’s finale includes booming cannons and a fireworks display over the San Diego Bay.
Single-show tickets for Bayside Summer Nights go on sale April 28. Subscription packages are available now.
The San Diego Symphony will perform at many of the shows over the summer. The 82-member symphony, which was founded in 1910, is the oldest orchestra in California.